Montgomery Shoe Store ... Today ...
Owned and operated by the present owner since 1979.
Montgomery Shoes is a "sit and fit" style shoe store which gives you time to ask questions, relax and enjoy yourself while you're trying on and shopping for the right shoes or boots.
Offering a large selection of "Brand Name Footware" in the categories of athletics, work, and everyday comfort casuals.
The Best of Shoes Since 1850 ...
Known as "J. W. Montgomery Shoe Dealers" when it first opened in 1850, Montgomery Shoes Store has been in the shoe business for over 150 years and is one of the oldest shoe stores in New York State!
The business was first established by Mr. John Warwick Montgomery who partnered with J. C. Hurlburt and Harvey Tuttle to manufacture shoes over 150 years ago. Montgomery, within a year, purchased the total interest and purchased a wooden building from Mrs. Jennie Frank Greene, a sister of Augustus Frank on Main Street. After the wooden structure burned in the block fire of 1876, he started to carry ready-made shoes in his new brick store built shortly after the fire. The facade of Montgomery's Shoe Store on North Main today is essentially the same as it was when first constructed in 1876. The store is located on the site of J. W.'s original, wooden store and is one of the oldest shoe stores in New York State.
Recognized as a pioneer dealer in footwear, J. W. Montgomery began business in the days when it was necessary to drive to Rochester for stock materials for the making of boots and shoes. He kept a number of shoemakers employed and his custom-made productions were appreciated throughout a wide radius of the surrounding country. The business prospered and he added variety to his stock. By the turn of the century, he offered a very large and up-to-date shoe business which was conducted by his son, John A. Montgomery.
Mr. Montgomery was a remarkably successful man. By his own industry and ability, he raised himself to a position of affluence and honor while also devoting much of his time to public service. He was one of the first excise commissioners in Warsaw. As a lifelong member of the Presbyterian Church, he served as President of the Village and Village Trustee.
John A. Montgomery continued in the shoe business on North Main Street leaving the business to his son, Lawrence, until the business was sold in 1965. The store continues today under the Montgomery name and is operated by Ed Jordan. He believes its history should not be forgotten as he offers quality shoes in the tradition established by J. W. Montgomery.